Saturday, April 20, 2013

But are they really "Terrorists"?


You could look up the word “terrorism” in many different dictionaries and pretty much get the same definition.  It’s pretty much “the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political or religious purposes” and “the state of fear and submission produced by terrorization.”  You get it.

Yes, we as a nation have endured many terroristic acts.  Horrific acts of brutality, murder and torture.  We have been brought to our knees a few times.

But have we actually been “terrorized”?  We bring ourselves back up to our feet, over and over again.  We have grown closer as a people, more united than ever.  We refuse to live in that state of fear and submission. No one has made us bow to their demands.  Which means they have not succeeded.

Ergo, they are not “Terrorists”.

What should we call them, then?  We know that part of the act of terrorism involves some type of need for glory whether it be for a cause, a religion or even that person’s own self.  To be called a Terrorist-with-a-capital-T does give them some validation.  Since they have not succeeded in terrorizing us, I say we even take that name away from them.

Hmmm….

Why don’t we look up the word “bully”.  Or don’t.  We all know what that word means.  If you think about it, the only difference between a bully and a terrorist is pretty much the degree and method of violence used.  The desired end result is the same.  We also know there are two effective ways to deal with bullies; either make them our friends, or stand together in front of them united and show them that they have no power over you.  (I will not come out and say “Let’s offer them friendship!” and be laughed off the internet, even if my idealistic inner self wishes that were possible.  Maybe someday…sigh…)  We have shown time and time and time again that we get up, we stand together and stand up against people who try to coerce us into some form of submission or degradation.

They lose.  As often as they step up their means of attempted subjugation, they fail.  Let’s just call a spade a spade and call them what they really are, no grand titles and no capital letters.

They are just bullies.

See what that one word change does to the implied “power” anyone thinks they have over us?  And to further lessen the sting, and therefore the implied glory, I will now add insult to injury and allow my inner child free reign to comment:

NYAH NYAH!

17 comments:

  1. I love this! People only have power in my world if I choose to give them that power. I've said this about condescension ... no one can look down on me unless I choose to place them above me. By the same token, no one can terrorize us unless we choose to hand them our peace of mind on a platter ... and we don't! Well said, and I'm so glad you are blogging! You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...and be laughed off the Internet. .." lol I'm a dreamer too but sometimes to my own detriment. Love what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. calling them bullies makes it maybe a teensy bit easier to contemplate how young people--teenagers, even--are capable of carrying out such horrid acts. yeah, let's call them bullies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know for a fact that words have power. So, by just changing the word used to describe a person, thing or action, it changes the energy or power that is given to it! So yes, we should use the word bully or bullies instead. But, we should also take into consideration that just like these people are attempting to bully us, our country attempts to bully other countries as well. We, as a people, should do our best to break the cycle so that the healing can begin abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tony. The power behind the words is exactly my point. Yes, there are many other things to take into consideration. One good thing about lessening the power in words is in the fact that it makes it easier to talk to children about it, without instilling extreme fear. And along with that, schools are now taking action against bullying, and teaching about bullying. The young children exposed to that teaching have an opportunity to grow up creating a world for themselves where bullying/terrorism occurs less and less. And the ripples will spread.

      Delete
  5. I think bully is a weak term for them....they inflicted terror, and killed and disfigured dozens...they ARE terrorists in my book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do acknowledge they hurt us, and badly. But they did not break us. My point is not to give them any more validation. Taking away grand titles not only does that, but also allows us an easier point of thought that allows us to heal and grow and carry on as best we can. Words do have the power to change thought.

      Delete
    2. I would venture to say that Jeff was not terrorized. He was hurt ... badly ... but he was empowered and brave. Even though the doers of bad things broke his body, they did not break his spirit ... nor any of ours.

      Delete
  6. Great insight, Susie! I love it. We CAN control the power others have in our lives...it's as simple as giving them the appropriate titles! Thank you for sharing.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daughter,
    I prefer the word "Terrorist", which makes it easier for me
    to stomach 'killing them'. I agree with your friend Tony AFX,
    we have not always been the guys with the 'white hats' (reference: Gil-Scott Heron)in other countries. "Live and let live" until they choose otherwise and then it becomes "Kill,
    or be killed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I prefer the word "Terrorist", which makes it easier for me to stomach 'killing them'." Although I may understand yet disagree with the sentiment, it does prove my point on the power words have.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey daughter, during the time I was parenting, would you have classified me as either a terrorist or a bully?

    ReplyDelete