Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Want to get Gay Married


At first I thought the title “Gay Marriage” was about a themed wedding.  Disco Balls, dancing (great dancing, mind you), lots of glitter and FABULOUS outfits. (Yes, I said “FABULOUS!”)  I was SO disappointed when I realized all this fuss was just about regular marriage. 

When I started writing this I had no intention of mentioning religion in any way.  And then someone who felt very strongly about their beliefs chose to put harsh, judgmental comments on a post I made on Facebook.  She “inspired” me. (Thank you.)  As far as religion goes I will say this: for those that truly believe that their God will have Judgment Day on certain people, then kindly step off and let him do it. If he’s going to take care of the people living “wrong”, you have nothing to worry about. Go on with your lives, living them as you see fit, and spend more time worrying about the child molester that just moved into your neighborhood, or the terrorist who is planning to kill all the people who don’t believe in the God he or she believes in – which, coincidentally, ISN’T the God you believe in (or mine), or even the man in your church who everyone loves that goes home and beats his wife and/or children (and all the while, keep in mind that that child-molester, wife-beater and/or terrorist, odds are, have been brought up in your so-called “correct” heterosexually married household).  These are the people that can harm you. 

This silly “Gay Marriage” debate is all about discrimination, and discrimination only.  Slavery, racial discrimination, gender discrimination… we've seen this same fight countless times before.  It’s about some people arguing the COMPLETELY PERSONAL freedom that is afforded all of us in the Bill of Rights:

            That government is instituted, and ought to be exercised for the benefit of the people; which consists in the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the right of acquiring and using property, and generally of pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.

The two people that only want to love each other and stand together FAIRLY with everyone else will not interfere with the happiness or safety of others.  And sexual discrimination only belongs in public restrooms; I don’t want my shoes ruined.

I count myself lucky to be born after all the wonderful women and men who fought for women’s rights.  The only discrimination I face is in the left-over chauvinism, and even that has lessened over the course of my life.  Yet even that can get to me.  I can’t imagine being treated with the direct discrimination some people still have to deal with on a daily basis based on simply who they are, what color they are, how old they are or who they love.

Love. Isn't that what it’s supposed to be all about?  When people are loving towards each other there is less fighting.  Want to raise hell for a cause?  Fight hatred.

If you want to argue the money, keep in mind that no JOB is allowed to discriminate, either.  A qualified person is a qualified person and should get equality there.  The similarities (on the paper side) between and job and a marriage ‘contract’ are enough that, technically speaking, this ridiculous argument should have been settled with job equality.  Think about it.
And, speaking of ridiculous (but I want to know), who came up with the wonderful title “Gay”? 
GAY (from Dictionary.com):
“Having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. Synonyms: cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling, chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe.”
Who wouldn't want to be that? I’m actually a little jealous.  The best we girls - heterosexual or homosexual - got was “Bitch”.
BITCH (also from Dictionary.com):
“A female dog.”
Really?  That was the best anyone could come up with?
(Thank you for your patience.)
One other thing, most of my gay friends are in healthier and longer-lasting relationships than most of my family (myself included), and some of my straight friends are only STILL married because it’s too expensive to get a divorce.  And judging by the divorce rate and spousal killings alone, it looks like we ‘straight’ people don’t have it right, either.
So, if I ever do get married again, I still want to get Gay Married.  Everyone’s making such a big deal about it, it sounds like it should be truly tremendous.  You’re all invited. “We’ll have a gay old time!”
Or not.  Who knows, I could just be blowing smoke up your ass.  I mean, what do I know?  After all, I am only a bitch.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not getting married ever again.Had enough. Too Old!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that time I gave you a sparkly diamond ring at my house and you tried it on and gave it back? Hmmmmm......I even bought you a Tiara and made jewelry for you. Get some GADAR Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this, but then you know I agree already! Here's my sticking point when it comes to those who object to same-gender marriages:

    The only difference between a same-gender relationship and a mixed-gender relationship are the things they do in private ... let me say that the way it sounds in my head ... THINGS THEY DO IN PRIVATE!!! It is absolutely none of anyone's business what they do. I don't think it is possible to have an objection to any sort of marriage without having thoughts about such private things. I think all those homophobes should get their minds OUT of other people's bedrooms. It's private!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one- well said. No arguments from me on this one :) Love, Leona Rose

    ReplyDelete