Tuesday, May 6, 2014

How Lucky Am I? For Maria on her 50th Birthday

Maria,

You were a big part of my life for over 20 years.
How lucky am I?

I have memories and stories that begin with, "Remember when Maria...?"
How lucky am I?

You cooked for me. You made me a birthday cake. You've babysat for both my daughters. You lost your ass to me in poker.
How lucky am I?

I know what it was like to laugh with you, and I can still hear your laughter.
How lucky am I?

I know what it was like to cry with you.
How lucky am I?

I share wonderful, life-time friends with you, and we feel you with us every time we are together.
How lucky am I?

I made new, wonderful, life-time friends through you, even after you left.
How lucky am I?

I know the precious space you filled while you were here, and the void that exists now that you are gone, a void that only serves to highlight the love, compassion-without-judgment, the caring...the true friend that you are.
How lucky am I?

I am able to grieve for you, to miss you, to wish that you were still here with us in this time and space. Then I see around me those unable to grieve because they didn't know you.

They didn't know you.
I did.

How lucky am I?
.
Happy 50th Birthday, Maria
May 6, 1964 - October 6, 2013

I am hugging all of us right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment