Thursday, July 11, 2013

MOOD MUSIC: "Ping Me" - Todd Rundgren

"Just let me know that I have crossed your mind"

I have to say that first of all I am surprised my first song in this category was not a Tears for Fears song, but it’s OK; there will be many.  Besides, I am a creature of whim, and this is where my head is at the moment.

In a previous blog I mentioned a fantasy of mine about being at a concert with someone special and feeling the music together (Leave it to Good Music to Put Us Together, Pt. 2) This song is one of those songs, a “wash over me” kind of song (yes, I have nicknames for all the nuances of all the feelings I get), the kind of song I can lay in a dark room and just listen to and feel it…wash over me (she adds lamely).  The kind of music I like to feel loudly (like you would standing next to the speakers); I can feel strong arms wrapped around me from behind.  Comfort…and a little more.  Yes, sexy.

It’s kind of funny to me how much comfort I get from the music, when the lyrics are actually downright lonely.  Actually, I’m not sure I’m satisfied with that word lonely.  In this song, the being alone is a choice.  The voice is asking for simple acknowledgment from someone he cares for from a distance. A distance he chose.  It is here that the lyrics hit home with me, right now in my current situation.  I get it. And I get that it’s totally selfish.  “I know it isn’t fair to ask for something that I may not return” and then “sometimes I get so absent-minded, I come off unconcerned” -- that last part of the line is ME.  And, again, I acknowledge the selfish part.

We all go through our phases and stages in life.  The lyrics in this song fit me perfectly.  I’m alone, but not lonely.  One can be alone and still want company or even just some acknowledgment once in a while, but still be happy being alone. To me, loneliness is a constant state where one is always wanting that company and acknowledgment.

“a little sustenance is all I need
a small reminder that you think of me”

I think that says it perfectly.  And I like the use of the word “Ping”—like the computer ping test that tests the presence of an active connection—as in a noncommittal acknowledgment.  I think that is clever.

I still find this whole song comforting, overall.  As much as I usually really love lyrics (and his simple lines say my thoughts perfectly), with this song I believe it’s the music itself that I feel first.  Or maybe…maybe I find validation and acceptance of my own point of view right now (which, obviously, I am questioning in terms of selfishness), and yes, acknowledgment.

Wow…I got deep there.

I’ll try not to do that too much with the next songs I discuss.  I’ll try to write about one of my angry songs next; there are less hairs to split with those. Duh.

Mood/Tone:  Isolating/Comforting
Music Therapy Recommendation:  Lay down with your eyes closed in a dark room and play this loudly (or follow my fantasy).

LYRICS: “Ping Me” – Todd Rundgren

I know it isn’t fair to ask for something
that I may not return
sometimes I get so absent-minded
I come off unconcerned
I guess it’s true I may have volunteered
I never dreamed that I would end up here
I wouldn’t want to take up any time
just let me know that I have crossed your mind

And ping me
You don’t have to ring me
There’s no gift you need to bring me
No song that you should sing me
Just ping me

When so much time has passed you’ll wonder
are things really the same
and if my expectations are a burden
then I will take the blame
it doesn’t bother me to be alone
I’ve gotten used to being on my own
a little sustenance is all I need
a small reminder that you think of me

So ping me
You don’t have to ring me
There’s no gift you need to bring me
Not a song you that you should sing me
Just ping me


I thought I’d never have a friend like you
someone who loves no matter what I do
I hope you know I feel the same way to
And I will be there if your need is true
But I have always been a solitary man
I try to change but find I never can
So please forgive
my distance silence is my friend
you’re in my heart until the very end

Just ping me
You know you don’t have to ring me
There’s no gift you need to bring me
There’s no song you need to sing me
Just ping me


Ping Me - State

No comments:

Post a Comment